The fountain, known as the Hochstralbrunnen (Jet Fountain), was built in 1873 and is colorfully illuminated at night. The fountain was designed to rise up to 45 meters. Vienna's wind, however, has prohibited the full water pressure from being applied and only a maximum height of 30 meters is reached nowadays. The monument behind the fountain was set up in 1945 and commemorates the Russian liberation army of World War II. The equestrian statue on the plaza in front of the fountain honors Field Marshal Prince Karl Schwarzenberg, commander at the Battle of Leipzig in 1813. The Schwarzenberg palace, still owned by a Schwarzenberg, is behind the monument. Primarily used as a hotel and restaurant today, it also houses the Swiss Embassy.